Saturday, June 02, 2007

Ode to the contraband rabbit

Dedicated to my brother, the responsible owner
who brought home a rabbit that mother was allergic to
and was found out... to the exile of rabbit.
Love me not, if your love cannot be lasting
Court me not, if the courtship must be short
the blame is on you, to so harm me
withholding the knowledge of the end
That I am not worthy to eat your food, breath your air, dwell in your household
so be it, may that fate had not handed me to you
For I would rather live my life alone, then be made to love and then wrenched from that which my heart has so fond
The memory of a caress pains more than a dull existence
Before, I lived in hope
you taught me despair
never again shall I greet so trustingly, the one who visits my room
never again shall I follow so willingly, the finger that points to my sustenance
i shall be dull, and not delight
For affection is a cruel weight to bear
And I put it to you, to have indulged so in your own pleasures
to have smiled at me and won my heart
to have seeked my price and paid it
to have hidden me where i was sure to be found
and I was content, to be locked away
In darkness, my ears prick for your presence
I lived for you, have you lived for me?
Surely my love is the equal of yours
And thus my worth your peer
I do not love this leaving
and perhaps, yes, many words were said in passion
look often in at me, though I may belong to another
For once established, my heart contains no other
touch me once more, before the leaving
hold me a feed me a last piece of lettuce
our parting shall be as a quiet requiem
no harsh words
remember how I shall miss you most profoundly




Bollywood should hire me to write, if I do say so myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home