Friday, August 11, 2006

Math is a subconscious ability!

Last night I went to bed feeling a little less accomplished than the day before because I hadn't done as much math and Physics as I had meant to do. (On a side note, I find Physics far more fun than I had initially believed it to be. May this attitude continue all the way to electronics, which is coming up soon in the physics course!)
Perhaps it is because of things undone, perhaps it was because I mistook a 80% score on math for 43%, which would mean I would be flunking math (AGAIN!). I fell asleep and dreamt I was close up to a test paper, calculating physics. I had done about three problems when suddenly a math sheet popped up and I was calculating math. There were no edges to the sheet or my dream. No table underneath or anything, at least, not that could notice. It was like a screen fixed to my eyeballs. I was doing math. I had not calculating paper nor pencil yet I was going through the algorithms in my mind and I tell you it was a lot faster than doing it by pen. What I want to state is that I am absolutely certain I was jumping through the numbers and going through every equation. It wasn't simply a dream of me doing math. It was me doing math! I don't know how to make you all understand the reality of the calculating.
A lot of studies are conducted on dreaming and one thing is absolutely certain - almost all individuals who dream cannot read words in dreams. You dream of opening a book and the first sentence you see is gibberish. You dream of opening a comic and all the dialogue spaces are simply that : spaces. I myself often try to read the amazing books I pick up in my dreams only to discover in disappointment that I either wake up from trying to recognize the symbols or see nothing in them. But now appearantly math is a different matter. I don't know about any studies concerning the use of math, art, or chemistry in dreams, but I'm sure there are some out there. With complete ignorance of any such studies I am delighted now to realize that I can do math in dreams!
I can do math, but it made me realize I really am not that fab at it. I distinctly recall myself miscalculating problem number five out of the ten problems I was doing and I also distinctly recall myself inhibiting the idea of redoing the problem because I simply didn't want to! This is bad news. Will have to dis-learn this habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home