Wednesday, October 18, 2006

academics and confusion

It completely befuddles me - the fact that what is going on between N. Korea, US and Japan has not become headline news in Taiwan - or at least, I have not a single notion of it.
On another note - I wonder what it is with being scholastically attuned? Been browsing and am semi-befuddled by the attitude some people have towards academics - they're A students, and studying is a pain that has to be done, good grades must be achieved, and meanwhile b**ch the system, have fun as often as possible and get date but don't exactly admire date's tendencies.
possible reasons1. too much pressure must find relief in some form.
2. Everyone is going through this must pretend it's nothing or that it's too painful to lower other people's defenses.
It's difficult to be coherent on this since I'm still feeling puzzled about this phenomenon. Writing it out usually helps me make sense of what's going on.
background : a society (not exactly the whole country, but at least nearly all the people who surround the subject) which cares about academic achievement because it has something to do with success, and everyone is fed + more.
Perhaps the problem lies with me. I'm way too serious and I can't understand how other people can't be...There are so many problems needing to be solved and so many things under abuse that I must do something, and the main point of education is to create a better society - a society of people who are informed and willing to take action - either in conducting their own lives with as little pain to others as possible or actively pursuing better systems. I'm not say I'm highminded - I simply believe that eveyone should at least care for what they are doing, do it the best way they can, and care more about the righting the wrongs of men. I understand that any form of administrative system for people can be unfair, but I also believe that most of the teachers and educators are doing the best they can. And complaining about it is childish. My classmates/peers do it almost incessantly, it's like a social skill you've got to learn to become a member of my social circle. It has gone so it influences me and I try to complain about my grades... but I really think that if I try hard I'll do well and if I don't I won't. If I try and don't do well what I should do is start changing my study methods not complaining... and all the time I'm focusing on my studying I'm thinking that it will be helpful for what I want to achieve in the future - it will give me more knowledge help change the system or the power to do so. As long as there are problems I cannot stop trying. I also enjoy studying, and if I don't I try to see the good points in the subjects I don't enjoy so I'll be able to do learn something from it. Maybe I'm being too idealistic but we do have to live with goals.
Would a universe with zero problems make an effort to birth problems because having no problems is a problem at least concerning our tendency to stop making an effort when all is calm.
okay, I'm typing while watching dog whisperer and it's kind of hard to concentrate so I'll stop here.

1 Comments:

Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Hello from Singapore!
I like Taiwan. And I have friends & students from Taiwan. It is good to hear different views from others. I enjoy reading your blog.
Best wishes.

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home