Wednesday, February 28, 2007

culture recheck

perhaps I come from the vein of optimists who believe that culture can be changed at will- and often for the better. Some current natural evolutions of culture are unsavory, but all in all a passing phase for (hopefully) a better society.
Though often, for our short lives, the passing phase seems much too long.
This train of thought began because I was bored. Standing traffic duty is never very exciting, even though my southern countrymen tend to disregard traffic lights quite often, there are often lapses of extreme nothing, and though I would like very much to listen to music or read during these dulldrums it would not do for the professional image of authority.
So in my languidness (albeit remembering at intervals to maintain a straight back and grim visage) I pull in sensations from my surroundings and allow my mind to wander freely. (it is often during these daydreaming states that one happens upon the most extraordinary notions). Yesterday I experienced a sensation that lasted for a second, but which I held on desperately for a minute. It was a sensation I thought I would never be able to experience in Taiwan. Something I expected to experience (judging from movies, pictures, and books) in some quaint street corner in Europe (I find myself silly saying this). Perhaps I was slightly deluded and let reality slip up, perhaps it was a slip of sensibilities that let reality come through. All in all, I found myself feeling the bricks in the sidewalk as cheerful, with bright, gaily nodding colors (like flowers). The motorcyclists as seemed congenial, the wind blowing with a sudden clearing of a nonexistent fog (which most likely was smog) revealing a dew-sparkling, early morning world that was suddenly much more cheering and hopeful than before. An elevation of human love that was devoid of any petty selfish jealousy.
I cannot do this sensation justice with words. One must know this feeling oneself.
So I was grinning for about ten minutest with idiotic bliss yesterday while I conducted traffick. But one must not dwell on happy sensations too long else it'd grow stale. So I locked it in my memory and returned to reality so I may better enjoy hapiness some other time.
Then today as I stared with dull disinterest at the conductor (we take turns, my classmate and I, he's very handsome, just not an inspiring subject to talk to) I was seized with this urge to dance (as I often am). For my mind was wandering over the skit I had rewritten for a contest and it had snagged on the dancing laborer. i have seen on several occassions the foreign laborers who come to Taiwan clustered in groups, often sitting without care on the less than clean pavements drinking and joking. I would not be surprised if they brought music and devided to do impromptu dancing there and then. It is not unknown for certain cultures to have that habit.
And how would the Taiwanese react? Most probably with disgust. 'What a rauctious, unciviled group." Some may think. Few may lok with admiration and yearning - wanting to be a part of them and join them in their general celbration of life. None will, though. If there's anything chinese culture can cultivate, it's a timidness towards spontaneous acts of public jubilation. There may be a crowd, the most they'll do would be to clap. and After the dance they'll linger for a second and then melt away with a collective sigh of regret they cannot truly understand, because they long to join the dancing but are afraid to do so.
Most however, will look with animousity at this alien display.
Now I propose in this hypothetical situation a Taiwanese person, preferably young and good looking, decides to join them. Hypothetically, the dancers welcome him. The opinions of many would change. They would view the dance in a more favorable light.
One little factor, and the fickle crowd will turn it's head. People are never really sure of being right. Only condemnation and prejudice lets us believe that we are on stable ground, but really our beliefs are often mistaken and bigoted.
I feel that a culture that often represses such acts of happiness (except for when under the influence) isn't entirely free and happy. And that is what I want changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home