Saturday, February 10, 2007

Watching turtles can fly and the interpreter

The saddest movie, turtles can fly. But it is done in a very pretty, realistic way. I wonder how the director did it. Did he recruit the children from there? And will their lives improve for it? It makes me want to do something, but I don't know what. I guess if there were absolutely nothing for me to think about doing, no problems at all, I would kill myself, because life would be purposeless. Do we live for our goals only or do our goals live for us?
The kids in turtles can fly are shockingly mature. They don't really seem to have an idea what a 'normal childhood' such as those we take for granted is like.
The interpreter starrs Nicole Kidman and it's interesting in the fact that it gives us a look into one of the peoples and languages :Ku, I think it's spelled, but then mine had chinese subtitles so I couldn't tell how it's spelled.
These movies somehow imbue a sense of humanity into these people. Where I've heard often, and even in movies, that some people think 'we should bomb them all', it sounds bigoted, but one can see more starkly that such sentiments stem from ignorance when one watches these movies and understands that these people, like others, only desire survival. Though perhaps the fact that they are living horrible lives that we care about them more. I would have less sympathy for a thriller or spy movie character who goes around smashing people's cars up just to pull escaping stunts. Though we love these characters for their astuteness and agility, it's not really something we can relate to, and any sort of sympahy is lost when we seriously consider the collateral damage the person has caused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home