Thursday, February 08, 2007

Los Vendidos and sentiments on beauty

Some of my classmates are considering entering an english drama contest and invited me to participate. I looked up some plays in a book on literature and this play caught my eye "Los Vendidos". It was amusing compared to the other plays in the book. I went to the team and told them about 'a doll's house' and 'los vendidos' and those chose LV. Since it has to be a play that is at least partially original we have to rewrite it... and I have a feeling that job will fall to me. Luckily, I feel blessed by inspiration. I gave up my noon nap to jot down ideas about the play. I'll have the setting in Taiwan, and the characters are foreigners and the misconceptions we have about them. Hopefully it'll be funny without losing sight of the serious issues, and hopefully it won't offend anyone, as it is not meant to offend. Unfortunately we have one too many girls in the group and only two boys, while the play requires three boys and four to five girls. I'll have to think on that. But girls play acting as boys has never been on my list of good plays, especially if we want to be a little serious about this.
On Beauty
Why does beauty dwell so on my mind?
As though there weren't anything else to find
the world to me is divided into black and white
not wrong and right
but the gifted and the Blight...
many are the things that can be deceived by the eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home