Friday, July 06, 2007

Unhappy books

It seems that truly I have not read many 'adult' books in my life. I have read some of the classics, and young adult books: fantasy, vampires...etc. But rarely books like 'the mermaid chair'.
Let's talk about how I got to read this book. I noticed that one of my english teachers had a lot of novels. His table was piled with stacks and the cabinet behind his chair was full also. So I asked if I could borrow one to read and he said yes. I chose the mermaid chair because of its intriguing title. And read it through because I had borrowed it. Hoping that it would get better as I read on.
It didn't, not really.
But going on. When I think books like 'the mermaind chair that deal with adultry, I feel my mind trying to dis-remember the odd, unhappy sensation that settled in my stomach when I read it. (the main character is an artist, as if that could be excusable)
It's almost the same as when I think of the kite-runner, and my mind seems to purposefully dis-remember the sexual abuse that's in it. Not that it's not important. Not that I don't recall it happens. But that I don't like recalling the painful details. It was done masterfully, I believe, by not going intrusive into descriptions. But still, it was very painful.
That's why I don't watch horror movies.
Though I do not regret reading the kite-runner.
I would not like to read something like 'the mermaid chair' again. Please, forgive me from turning away from certain realities in this world. They just make me so unhappy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home