Friday, July 06, 2007

Wuthering Heights

Upon first perusing the abridged version of Wuthering Heights I was sure that the rendering was done crudely, for how else could there be such difficulty in feeling the delicate turns of situations? Unconvinced of its legitimacy, I set out and purchased the book in its original. Here I learnt that I had wronged the abridger, for indeed the original was every bit as crude as the shortened version. Perhaps because I had been holding high expectations for it, and had become spoiled by the variety of feeling and depth that Jane Eyre had provided. Added to this Wuthering Heights lacked a definitive main character of virtue. Rather, those with a consistent merit were shunted aside to make way for the parody of cruder, more passionate characters. It is indeed shocking to note the differences displayed in the sisters, and I wonder how Emily Bronte would have turned out if she had survived to write something more. For as noted by her sister, it is more difficult to discern a ‘feminine hand’ in writing this volume than otherwise.
I am not saying that I can do better than the author, or even create something close to it. Indeed, if the setting was harsh and lacking in tendresse, it holds merit in its originality, in a flame that would sit most oddly on the misconceptions woman’s nature was considered to be at that time. It is a triumph in everything but the coarseness. And perhaps I am prejudiced to call it so. For the style has been accepted elsewhere as great. I am simply naturally disposed to dislike the feeling such a setting and plot gives me. As I’ve never much like ‘catcher in the Rye’ either, and that tale is in a sense the true reflection of a raw spirit.
I have reflected upon starting something that is considered ‘modern’ as well, and decided not to. It is not because I am without the inspiration to do so, but that for one I fear what such an endeavor may wreck upon my persona, for I am many things, and one thing a story requires is that one maintain a level of consistency in tone throughout. This I cannot do, for if I were able to be inspired by any note of a cheerful temperament than I would go ahead. One cannot lose in being cheerful. But if I can only spout depression, then it does me no good trying to do this project. Besides, I know that I shall hate my own work if I adopt that tone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home