Thursday, June 30, 2005

The moon dance

Realize that this is a rather psychotic poem and should not be read to children. I wrote this when I was 14. Inspired from a beautiful, neurotic dream of falling asleep in the snow and eerie images of the moon being reflected. I was this bony white lady in a victorian dress.

Night, I sit, afore my window,
disconsolate thoughts do froth within.
As winter wind rattles tree bough,
so same my heart rattles therein.

Rapid thought, so quickly vanquished,
clouded my very vision.
Fervent prayer, to slowly extinguish –
Oh, the demolition!

Irksome thoughts, disconcerting me,
Do go away!
Tis nonsense – oh let me be!
The sunlight is full of decay

Then there were moments, broken by chaos
Imbedded in my brain
How can I not notice every flaw
My dreams that shattered so prettily?

If light can giveth, oh such delight,
And darkness heals; replenish
Is shadow, then, so trite,
My heart was to relinquish?

Every fibre of my soul
Bound in faithful vigil
To those I loved, I sought in vain
To those what cannot be done?

The moon is full
This night
And the stars so twinkling bright
The air crisp with the winter breeze
That stirred so little
‘gainst my pale white cheek
as I tread so gracefully
head held high
a thin shawl fluttering o’er mine shoulder
lavender voile
and my pale green muslim dress

The snow lies thickly
peacefully, this night
all over the flouncing meadow
where the flowers once grew
in gay array
and you wooed me
in that willow lair
now shivering and bare

My bare feet dance
this night
tripping lightly o’er the blue, white snow
remembering, our every moment
remembering, the midnight breeze
your fingers caressing my cheek…

Now I raise mine eyes to the moon
Now I offer, my heart, my soul
To you I dance
Oh, gaily
To my love I dance
So joyfully
Twirling in circles
Like the full moon
‘til my breath hurts hard
in my hollow lungs

the snowflakes land gently at mine feet
as the moon seems to smile at me
accepting my offering
I lay down quietly
In submission, in rest
Fingers brittle and cold that lay across my chest

And I was buried by the snow
Ashes of my soul
Ashes of my love
Just so you know
Frozen tokens of sacrifice
In the bitter cold ice
Sweet, sweet sleep
With the mistress of the night

So I was buried by the snow
My last sight
The starlit sky
My last drawn breath
Of the crisp winter wind
So cold, so cold
My last, last thought
To draw your heart towards mine

My broken heart
Healed by the snow on the flickering moonlight…

This is the night
You feel something lost
Something gone, something
nowhere to be found
your breath catches harshly
you know not why
a deep hopeless ache
that causes you to sigh
It would not go away
Whilst you wander afar
Searching for a dream
You had once in the night
Wander from the clinging arms
Of other women with less heart
Wander from your bottle
Your business, your ‘friends’
You wander all distracted
With that yearning in your chest
You search, oh how you search!
It would make the moon laugh
To think, what is so obvious
You cannot understand

For I’m buried by the snow
Ashes of my soul
Ashes of my love
Healing of my heart
And you hear the silent call
But you know not what
Darling, come to me
And join my offering

Spring, you be searching
All distracted, all in tatters
O’ere the melting winter valley
And the meadow creeping green
I’ll be lying by the flowers
Freshly bloomed, that shock of colors
Hair darker than the sallow earth
A red rose grown at my throat
Skin bluer than violets
Colder than frosty nights
Eyes closed in eternal slumber
Calm and smiling, face a blessed
Buried by the snow
That were ashes of my soul
And my love for you
Drawing at your whole

Nightly I appear
In dreams
More like life than death
Dancing gaily
Lavender shawl a’ fluttering
And my green muslim dress
Swaying to the dance
The dance, the dance
Swaying to the dance
Of the offering to the moon
Smiling, still smiling
Pupils flashing austere
Faery, ghostly fingers
Grasping at your heart
So daintily, I dance!

Nightly I visit you
Driving you so slowly
Smiling, forever smiling
Without any malice
You lay there so immobilized
Entranced by the moonlight
Those phantom strings of light
Your heart do clasp
While I hover over you
With that pale blue face
And with those luminous eyes
I beseech you
For I promised her our love
That she’d come now to take
Nightly, while you strive
To break the bond I made
You always see me beckoning
Beckoning at thee
Come forth! Come hence!
Let us embrace the pure alter
Of the motherly moon
You’ll be mine, mine forever
As I am yours too
When you’re half stricken by grief
Half insane with fear
I’ll be there to remind you
I’ll always be there
Take my hand, darling
Together, let us dance
Under the moon’s watchful eyes
You’ll realize, surely
Just as I
In submission, our perfect love
Offered to the moon
Tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping you will share your story.
milk of human kindness

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home