Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Returned to Taiwan

I've just returned to Taiwan, and it was a most interesting journey too. Got the newest Harry Potter book for less than 16 dollars, psyched! Met a 31 year old guy from Taipei who was returning to Taiwan in seek of a job after taking his graduate in Calif. Our flight was delayed 10 hours due to the typhoon ravaging Taiwan and, to escape boredom and loneliness, we chatted and wandered about searching for a clothes store so I could get clothes to change into, seeing how I was going to go without a bath for a longer time than I anticipated (which I hate, feeling grungy does not boost one's morale), turns out the clothes were way over my budget and ratty to boot, gotta love our Taiwan brandless. I ditched the idea and instead we went to my room and played video game together on my computer. Not smart of me, I know, inviting a complete stranger into my room? Don't imitate. Anyway, he was the perfect gentleman. We went to the airport to wait for our flight and I let him read my HP book while I perused a racy Cosmopolitan. I caught winds of disapproval fromt the row of male Asians sitting across from me. It's not a mag that would give a good impression on your mentality. (Big hint: Don't read when you are waiting to be interviewed for a job). He flipped through my mag too and I asked him, with a hidden smirk, what he thought of it. He stuttered, it was amusing. Wonderful person.
Waiting for the flight to Kaohsiung I happened to meet this girl who, of all things, is going to be a senior at my new Highschool and was in the same class too. She's also the president of the debate team, which I had planned to join, and gave me some great tips. She told me even if the debate team is so hot, she'd give me special pass because she's guaged my personality more. I'm thrilled that she liked me and thought me to be a useful addition to the debate team, but am quite worried that I may eventually turn out to disappoint her. High expectations cause problems. Her description of the school's general attitude makes me love it even more, it's a school that is more tolerant for diversity and fun.
When my dad picked me up he had this credit card point thing where you enter the points you have and get food in exchange, no extra charge. A year ago I would have felt dead imbarrassed being with my dad eating 'meal ticket' food outside the store waiting for the rain to stop, but I know that will hurt my dad. Trying to achieve a shallow standard like that is not worth hurting people I love. If you're comfortable with who you are and what you do so long as it doesn't hurt anyone it's never uncool. (well, except for the pulling up one pant leg thing, and running through your school naked).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home